Saturday, May 21, 2005

Philadelphia

I just finished watching the movie Philadelphia. It is one of my favorites. Each time I watch it, I learn something new about myself. I consider myself blessed that my parents took my sister and myself to watch it when it came out. I was in middle school and it was not a movie I probably would have gone to see on my own. I remember after the movie sitting in the care with my parents and sister and crying. We could not go eat because we were all so emotional. I am thankful that I had parents that helped me have an open view of all people at such a young age.

One line in the movie struck me this morning. Tom Hanks' mother is talking to him and states, she did not raise her son to ride in the back of the bus. WOW. Everyday society, and even more we as individuals, trap people in the back of the bus. We would never admit to such a thing. We lie, mostly to ourselves about what we are doing. Our derogatory comments, our unwelcoming hands, and our closed thinking places people in the back of the bus. What amazes me even more is how the church often does such things. The one place where all people are to be welcome often shows prejudices the most.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Well said, Weeze.

myleswerntz said...

amy, jen and i are here at panera, stalking your blog. that is all.