Tuesday, April 12, 2005

My Sister

I shared with my sister (www.ohtomumble.blogspot.com) my thoughts on leaving Waco. Of course she knew the exact words to share.

"Just remember that Waco and its inhabitants aren't going anywhere. You don't have to mourn their loss. You just have to accept that you are pursuing your life's dreams in another location. They aren't gone or forgotten; they are just physically removed from your immediate surroundings. You are going to be fine, and it won't take you long to realize that moving isn't mourning... Moving is growing, exploring, reinventing, and maturing."

She is so right. My sister, Amanda Bigbee, is the most amazing person I have ever met in my life. She is my best friend and has lovingly put up with me for the last 25 years. She is intelligent and works harder than any person I know. I could not ask for someone who supports me more. She is my biggest cheerleader. I am not just leaving Waco, but I am leaving my family in the DFW area. My sister will be half way across the US. This is my first step in life that I am having to take without her. She was in second grade at Stone Elementary in Hobbs, NM when I had my first day of kindergarten. She was in her third year at Baylor when I was just starting out. Each step I have made in my life, she took first. She was the brave one that I sheepishly followed. She has been the one with courage.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

You are the most special person I have ever encountered. It was so much easier to take those steps when I knew that you were always with me in spirit. I hope that as you move towards a new part of your life in a new place, you realize that I am with you in spirit. I have been praying that you will have the bravery to seek at all of the wonderful things you deserve for years. So in some intanginble way, I have been in North Carolina for years waiting for you to realize your potential there. I am proud of you for taking this step, and I am with you in spirit.