Friday, October 28, 2005

Baylor Bears

Through the last few years I have been angry at Baylor University. I have not been happy at the way they have handled many things and am sadden at their choices of terminating useful programs (their Ed.D. program and now community counseling). I came to NC thinking that my allegiance to a school where I had been for eight years was for the most part gone. I realized last week, that this is not the case.

I was at an ACES (Association for Counselor Educators and Supervisors) conference this last weekend in Pittsburgh. I knew that Baylor's football game was going to be on TV and was excited to get to watch them. I forfeited a night of karaoke for college football (such an easy choice). A friend did persuade me to go to the hotel bar during the fourth quarter of the game. The bartender happily changed the television to the Baylor/OU game. As the game was ending and Baylor tied it up, I was happy to tell those around that I went to Baylor. I got in a conversation with a man beside me and bragged about how wonderful a school Baylor is.

My reaction to this situation got me thinking about how much I do love Baylor. Yes, it has its flaws. But in reality what doesn't? It is a university run by imperfect people just like me. I in no way should through out the wonderful things, just because I disagree with the way the past administration handled things. The eight years at Baylor were the most formative in my life. I proudly wear my green and gold today as I wish I was in Waco for the Homecoming festivities. I am proud from where I came and in no way want to apologize for it!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Go Bears! I, like you, fling my green and gold afar to light the ways of time; and guide us as we onward go; that good old Baylor line!

Every institution has flaws. Many are fundamental flaws in the foundation of the institution, and others are minor scars on a bigger picture that will eventually seem rather meaningless. I truly believe that Baylor's problems do not amount to traumatic flaws in the foundation of the University. They are simply philosophical differences in opinion. It is so difficult for me to fault the University for those differences, as it is that diversity that I always thought would make Baylor stronger as the years go on.

I celebrate the fact that Baylor gave us a wonderful education in a nurturing environment... an education that supported me through the death of a parent, saw me through a political and social paradigm shift, taught me about the need for differing opinions, and provided me with the ability to make educated and well-reasoned decisions from an ethical and spiritual perspective. That is reason enough to carry my green and gold banner. That is reason enough to always be proud to be a Bear.