Friday, November 18, 2005

Visiting Home

In three short weeks I will be flying back to Texas for Christmas break. I am so excited to see my family and friends. It has been over four months since I have been home and my body longs for the place I know so well. As I have been thinking about this visit, I have started to get nervous and scared. I know it is strange that I would be nervous of going home, but I am. I am not so much nervous about seeing my family, but I am scared of seeing friends. I am scared because I know things won’t be the same as when I left. Four months stand in between then and now. I am not the same person I was before I left and they too have changed. This is the fear that I have dreaded since I moved. As my friend Myles once said “change is part of life. There are no static places, except for graveyards, and even there, grass grows and stone decays.” Change is part of life and it has been occurring since I have left everyone I love so much. I fear that I will not connect in the same way with those who once knew me so well. I have started a new chapter in my life and none of my previous friends are in this chapter. Of course they have a part in it, but they are not in the daily activities. I am scared because of the change that has occurred. I know that change is not always a bad thing and that it can be good, but I am still scared.

2 comments:

myleswerntz said...

i said that? wow, i should write that down.

celina said...

aw. no pressure. there's no way i expect you to be the exact same person. you wouldn't be the girl i love if you haven't changed at all. i'm looking forward to seeing you.