Thursday, January 05, 2006

Back Home?

I am back in Greensboro, but I am struggling to say I am back home. Of course NC is my new home, but it does not exactly feel that way. On the other hand, Texas is no longer home either. My family lives their and most of my friends, but it is no longer my home. So I guess this leaves me homeless. Yes I have a nice apartment where my belongings rest, but the place of home does not exist at the moment. I have left the home that I knew so well and I am struggling to make a new home. Making a new home takes time and it does not happen overnight. I do think my trip to Texas over Christmas assisted me in this process. Although I had said bye to the place half a year ago, it wasn’t until this trip that I let go. I really can’t explain it, but as I was driving down the ever lovely 35 I knew leaving this time was different. I will come back and see friends, but I must move on with my life. I have to make my new home and I can’t even start such an adventure until I let go of the things of the past.

4 comments:

Ellis Family said...

i had the same feelings when i was driving in waco. I do miss it. When i think about fitting in here on earth i often think of "resident Aliens" by hauerwass. hope all is well

Anonymous said...

Having you in Austin helped my new "home" feel more like home. Oh the journey. We'll figure it out as we go and bring a touch of home to each other when we need it. Love you and will call you tomorrow! Leigh

myleswerntz said...

ditto what leigh said. even while i'm here in waco, i feel like where my home is is shifting. it's more the people than the places, i think. and that makes home forever elusive.

Anonymous said...

Hey Amy! I stumbled across your page the other day ... I think we're all in the stage of finding new "homes" among old and new faces. It was great seeing you over Christmas!