Thursday, January 12, 2006

Chair Drama

I knew with the beginning of this semester would come the process of choosing a dissertation chair. Although this might not seem like a hard thing to do, it has become very stressful. This might be because everyone has told me that it will be one of the most important decisions that I will make, but in the same breath they say that I can’t make a bad choice!!!! Over Christmas I gave the decision some thought, but tried not to worry too much. I knew that I had the whole semester to get things together and make my decision… if only things would have been so easy. As I returned I was faced with the reality that many others had already made such a decision. My stress level quickly elevated and I knew I had to get with the program. Even though I couldn’t make a “bad choice” I was terrified. I had already decided who I wanted, but as I started to email the professor I panicked. Was this the right decision? What happens if I should have picked someone else? What if the prof doesn’t want to do it? As questions flooded my mind, I realized I just need to do it. I am discovering that half of this process is just having to make decisions (if I want to graduate anytime soon). So I have a meeting set up with a professor next Tuesday! It is hard to believe that I am putting together the group of four individuals who will walk with me through the dissertation process. I know this is just the first of many big decisions that I will have to make.

3 comments:

myleswerntz said...

go strong! you'll be great. i'm looking forward to everything this semester, including the not-sleeping. but this semester should, in some ways, be cake compared to last.

Anonymous said...

Joel once told me that getting a doctorate is mainly about relationships and working with others. You can do both! (oh, and actually writing stuff too)

Candace said...

amy, i'm so proud of you! i know that you'll be great and you're in my thoughts!